Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lara, Jedi Apprentice!

+3
Crimson Saint
DarthSawyer
Lara
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

...I wish.

Hi all, I'm Lara. =) Those of you who know me, know me. Those of you who don't...Hiii! Nice to meet you!

I love the original trilogy and despise the newer three (though I will admit that 3 has great special effects). The new ones just don't have the same appeal to me.

Even more than I like the original movies, I love the books, have read almost all of them (minus the Clone Wars books. I'm not the hugest fan of the Clone Wars era, though I'm inching my way into it, slowly), and own a great deal of them. ...I know way more about the book than I do about the movies, actually.

My favorite character is Leia, followed by Han.

It's great to get to hang out with other Star Wars fans!

2Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:32 pm

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Welcome Lara! Your SW tastes seem to run similar to mine. Though I do admit I enjoy Episode III for more than just the effects. It's great to have another novel fan here as well!

3Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Crimson Saint

Crimson Saint
Role-Playing Captain
Role-Playing Captain

Hey there Lara!

I'm with you on the movies! The newer ones are okay on their own, but when compared to the originals, they just don't stand up Sad That, and they introduced two of the best characters in the prequels, then killed them off (Qui-gon and Maul)! I could go on, but I won't (not here anyways Tongue)

Anywho, welcome to CelestiaLights! I look forward to seeing you around!

4Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Fate Foretold

Fate Foretold
Supreme Chancellor
Supreme Chancellor

Hey, Lara. Welcome to SWCL! Very Happy

Lara wrote:Even more than I like the original movies, I love the books, have read almost all of them (minus the Clone Wars books. I'm not the hugest fan of the Clone Wars era, though I'm inching my way into it, slowly), and own a great deal of them. ...I know way more about the book than I do about the movies, actually.
I love this! I feel the same way about the books. <3 I can't wait to keep reading more and more. I hope to someday make it through most of them.

Enjoy your stay here!

http://www.footstepsofghosts.com

5Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 am

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Galactic Senator
Galactic Senator

Welcome to SWCL, Lar.... Heeeeey.... I know you! XD

In that case, screw the usual welcome and just have a hug instead. Hug

It's good to see more people over here from the swirly mists.

http://recagenda.wordpress.com

6Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Notadeathstaremployee

Notadeathstaremployee
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Welcome Very Happy I agree with your comment on the movies but I kind of like the new ones on their own. Oh well Very Happy I hope you like it here

7Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Yay, hugs!

It's perfectly alright, Noel, we're each entitled to our own opinions. =)

Can't wait till you get to read more of the books, Fate, so we can chat about them! =D

Crimson, I agree that the prequels had some pretty awesome characters in them. But hey, that's what the books are for!

Sawyer, we shall have to chat about the books some time, as well as our other similar tastes!

8Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:34 am

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Lara wrote:Yay, hugs!

It's perfectly alright, Noel, we're each entitled to our own opinions. =)

Can't wait till you get to read more of the books, Fate, so we can chat about them! =D

Crimson, I agree that the prequels had some pretty awesome characters in them. But hey, that's what the books are for!

Sawyer, we shall have to chat about the books some time, as well as our other similar tastes!

Lara, yes we definitely shall. I love talking about the novels, more than the movies. However, I every Star Wars fan I know just wants to talk movies. It's good to see that there are other huge fans of the novels besides myself! I am going to take a stab at our other similar tastes and guess you liked Lost?

9Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:48 am

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Actually, I've never seen Lost before, though I had always contemplated watching it. ):

Definitely nail on the head with liking the novels more than the movies though! And the best part is, unless we're talking, say, the newest Fate of the Jedi books, I probably know what's going on!

10Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 am

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Lara wrote:Actually, I've never seen Lost before, though I had always contemplated watching it. ):

Definitely nail on the head with liking the novels more than the movies though! And the best part is, unless we're talking, say, the newest Fate of the Jedi books, I probably know what's going on!

The novels give you so much more than the movies. You get so many more characters to know and love, plus the movie characters all get their stories expanded on. I have actually read everything so far including Fate of the Jedi. What is released anyway. So we definitely will have a lot to talk about. Very Happy So which book/series are your favorites?

11Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Oh yes, I definitely agree with that. Without a doubt. Yes, my favorite characters are from the movies, but I much prefer their roles in the books; I feel like despite their amount of screen time, the books are where I've watched them continue to develop and grow. =)

My favorite books...Well, my top favorite is Balance Point. Specifically, the last quarter of it (sometimes I pick that one up, thumb through to that part, and just read that). I also liked Recovery, and mean to read it again when I get back home in August because I finally have the paperback version of Star By Star!

I also really liked Allegiance! And I enjoyed the LotF series because Boba Fett was in them. XD I had always been interested in learning more about him.

(I'll admit it; secretly, I'm easy to please. If Leia's in the book with a decently sized role, I enjoy reading the book.)

Actually, come to think of it, there probably are a few Star Wars book that I haven't read yet (not including Clone Wars)...I recall coming across one in the bookstore a few weeks ago and discovering that what I thought had been a stand-alone was actually a two-book series.

What about you?

12Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Lara wrote:Oh yes, I definitely agree with that. Without a doubt. Yes, my favorite characters are from the movies, but I much prefer their roles in the books; I feel like despite their amount of screen time, the books are where I've watched them continue to develop and grow. =)

My favorite books...Well, my top favorite is Balance Point. Specifically, the last quarter of it (sometimes I pick that one up, thumb through to that part, and just read that). I also liked Recovery, and mean to read it again when I get back home in August because I finally have the paperback version of Star By Star!

I also really liked Allegiance! And I enjoyed the LotF series because Boba Fett was in them. XD I had always been interested in learning more about him.

(I'll admit it; secretly, I'm easy to please. If Leia's in the book with a decently sized role, I enjoy reading the book.)

Actually, come to think of it, there probably are a few Star Wars book that I haven't read yet (not including Clone Wars)...I recall coming across one in the bookstore a few weeks ago and discovering that what I thought had been a stand-alone was actually a two-book series.

What about you?

Well lets see, first we have I, Jedi. It was the first Star Wars book I read when it actually came out. It also includes my favorite EU character in Corran Horn.

Star by Star is one of them as well, I own the huge 600 page hardcover! It's a great book, but very very dark. To me, it is the second darkest chapter in Star Wars after the events of Revenge of the Sith.

Other books that I really enjoy are Starfighters of Adumar, LOTF: Betrayal both by Aaron Allston. Outbound Flight, and the Heir to the Empire Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Allegience was pretty good, are you going to get Choices of One when it comes out in July?

13Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

I probably won't get it right when it comes out because I'm not a fan of spending full price on books (I usually increase my collection of books as I come across them at used book sales and the like). But I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

Star By Star was definitely a great book. I haven't sat down and read it all the way through lately (when I picked it up in paperback form, I kind of just skipped to about three quarters of the way in and reread a few small sections here and there).

I'm growing fond of the Horns due to FotJ, so I may reread I, Jedi at some point for that fact.

14Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 pm

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Lara wrote:I probably won't get it right when it comes out because I'm not a fan of spending full price on books (I usually increase my collection of books as I come across them at used book sales and the like). But I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

Star By Star was definitely a great book. I haven't sat down and read it all the way through lately (when I picked it up in paperback form, I kind of just skipped to about three quarters of the way in and reread a few small sections here and there).

I'm growing fond of the Horns due to FotJ, so I may reread I, Jedi at some point for that fact.

Living where I live has one major perk. There is a bookstore called Strand, that sells there hardcovers at half-price, so I always get my books cheap.

You should pick up I, Jedi. It is a great book, that really gets you into the character of Corran Horn. Plus reading I, Jedi also shows a different perspective of the Jedi Academy books, which I found to be very interesting. Plus, there is an awesome scene with Luke that ranks among my favorites in all of the novels.

Last edited by DarthSawyer on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to add more.)

15Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

That's the best part: I already own I, Jedi! =D I just won't have access to it for a few months. Do you think I should reread the Jedi Academy books before reading it?

Half-price hardcovers? Jealous. I've got a used book store around me, but they don't normally have Star Wars books for sale... Hmm, "The Strand". -writes that name down for future reference-

16Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Lara wrote:That's the best part: I already own I, Jedi! =D I just won't have access to it for a few months. Do you think I should reread the Jedi Academy books before reading it?

Half-price hardcovers? Jealous. I've got a used book store around me, but they don't normally have Star Wars books for sale... Hmm, "The Strand". -writes that name down for future reference-

Well unless you live in NYC or are visiting you won't have access as it isn't a chain, just one huge store in Manhattan. But if you do visit, you should definitely check it out.

You can read the Jedi Academy Trilogy before. But you don't have to. I would actually read I, Jedi first, and if you like the part that takes place at the academy you can go back and read the trilogy. Though the only books in the JAT that are sort of in I, Jedi are 2 and the start of 3.

17Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Hence why I wrote it down... Wink

Alright, I'll keep that in mind then, and just head straight into I, Jedi when I get the chance.

18Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:48 pm

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Awesome. If you ever get this way you should definitely check out The Stand, for more than just it's half price Star Wars books.

May I ask where you are that you don't have access to some of your novels?

19Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

I'm temporarily renting an apartment for a summer internship, so I only have access to the few that I brought up with me...especially since I trekked to the library today to discover that I'd have to pay a ridiculous fee to get a library card while I'm in the area.

20Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:30 am

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Yes, library cards are rather expensive. At least that is what I heard. I basically only spend my free money on SW books, and certain TV show DVD's so I am able to afford to get the books when they come out. I remember when I went away to college being unable to bring all my books, and it sucked because I would always want to read one I didn't have with me.

21Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:44 am

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

My goodness yes. I run into that problem all the time. This past semester, I had brought up with me part of a couple of different series, figuring I wouldn't really get to them...I got to all of them. >.> So I was left stranded after two books of two different series since the rest were home.

22Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 pm

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

I hated that. Wanting to read something badly, and not having access to it. It drove me crazy sometimes.

I am lucky now that I have my own place, with a huge bookcase to hold all of my books.

23Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Lara

Lara
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Jealousy, a little. I need another bookcase in my actual bedroom. XD I'm running out of space, and I just bought a ton of "new" used books today (not Star Wars though)!

24Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 am

DarthSawyer

DarthSawyer
General Commander
General Commander

Lara wrote:Jealousy, a little. I need another bookcase in my actual bedroom. XD I'm running out of space, and I just bought a ton of "new" used books today (not Star Wars though)!

I am going to need another bookscase soon too. Between, my SW books, my TV show DVD's and my movies, two just isn't enough.

25Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Empty Re: Lara, Jedi Apprentice! Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Lord Kimo

Lord Kimo
Unaware Force-Wielder
Unaware Force-Wielder

Hello Lara
I agree that the original trilogy is by far the best. My favorite out of the three would be "Empire Strikes Back". It is very nice to know that you are reading the books. I too have read most of them and I even have read some more then once.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]